09 October, 2008

steaming

Some things I am quite aware of this week:
I am someone who seeks the good in people, and I am very shocked and disappointed when they turn out to have a mean streak I had not even thought could exist.
I hate conflict. I hate when I am mad at people, and I hate when they are mad at me.
I can't stand being misunderstood, when someone takes something I say and totally twists it into something else and absolutely can't understand me (or refuses to) and if I try to explain myself it's like talking to a wall. There's nothing getting through.
I also can't stand when people are so self-righteous and nothing anyone else says is right or worth pondering or even remotely valid. It infuriates me when I am belittled.
I hate the feeling of powerlessness. When it comes to relationships, I want to do everything I can to make things right if they are not, but there is only so much one half of the equation can do! When there is no reciprocation, no coming halfway or even budging, and there is absolutely nothing else I can do, it makes me so frustrated!!
Where do you draw the line between trying to get your own point across and just forgetting it, because it's not going to make a difference anyway and it will just fuel the argument more?
I wish I had super powers to always understand other people.
I want respect.
Even if a relationship has to end, I believe in doing that in a way that honors the good that was, and saying a peaceable goodbye. Unfortunately, the other person involved may not care about that.
This is not the most inspiring post, but this is what I'm dealing with now unfortunately.

1 comment:

Allison Fairbairn said...

I'm sorry you're having a sucky time, and I know exactly how you feel. But I think everyone has a mean streak - typically spurred on by hurt, rejection, defensiveness, anger, what have you, depending on the person. We've all said hurtful things (or at least thought them) in the heat of the moment - whether or not we actually meant them.

I don't know the exact details of what you are going through right now, but I really hope you are able to salvage your friendship with this person. If not, that's okay too. You are strong, and you'll get through it.