15 November, 2008

inspired to cook

I have been more inspired to cook actual recipes in the past month or so. I haven't been doing it everyday or anything, but more than I have in a long time. I even spontaneously bought a new cookbook that I am excited to try out.

This past week I had my friend Telia (37 weeks pregnant!) over for dinner and made Chicken Curry. I don't know where I originally got the recipe, but I submitted it to my extended family cookbook that was put together two years ago. It was scrumptious once again. I ate the last of the leftovers today. It was three days ago, but my apartment still has a lingering scent of curry!

Chicken Curry

2 lb cooked chicken
1-2 Tbsp butter
1/2 large onion, peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp flour
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
14 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp apricot jam

Cut cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces. Melt the butter in a large pan, add the onions and , over low heat, cook them gently until they have softened but not colored. Stir in the turmeric, ginger, curry powder and flour and cook the ingredients together for 3-4 minutes, then pour in the chicken broth and tomotoes (undrained).

Stirring constantly, bring the sauce to a boil and reduce the heat. Add the salt, bay leaf, and jam, and simmer the sauce for 30 minutes so that all the flavors mellow together. (At this point I also decided to chop up some carrots and celery and threw them in.)

Stir in the chicken and cook in the sauce for 10 minutes, until the chicken is hot.

Serve on rice.

1 comment:

jc said...

Mmmm, yummy! We've made this numerous times from the cookbook and really like it.