06 November, 2008

a new era

What an amazing election to have witnessed this week! It gives me so much hope on various levels that a black man has been elected president, that someone with better ideas on foreign policy is going to be in power, that someone who seems to really care about the low income, down-trodden people of this country will be in charge. It seems to me that he is going to really think about his decisions. I am really excited to think about the potential changes that could happen in this country and in the world with a new different president.

At the same time, as much as I think Obama is going to be a much better leader for this country, I also know that there is no perfect leader. I also realize that there are many forces that will make it difficult for Obama to make all the changes that he may want to make. He has been left a very challenging mess. I hope he will have the strength to keep fighting for what he believes is right and that he will be surrounded by others who support him and keep him accountable.

Being a Mennonite, I struggle with the idea of empire, and this country is still an empire. I really hope and pray that the United States will be seen in a very different way under the Obama administration by being one that truly uses its power to spread goodwill in the world. I have hope!

No comments: