
Last night I watched The Last Kiss. I had seen it in the theatre when it came out last summer/fall. When I first saw it then, it really affected me. It's all about the rawness and imperfection of relationships. When I was watching it again last night, crying, I was wondering why in the world I like this movie if it makes me feel so bad! I realized that something good about it is that it's not like a romantic comedy/feel good movie, where magically everything works out for the main characters; they get back together/fall in love/whatever without it being of any consequence, like nothing bad ever happened, and we are led to believe that everything will be fantastic from here on out. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed my share of romantic comedies, but sometimes instead of it being a "feel good" experience, I feel sort of jipped afterwards, like why can't that happen to me? I like that The Last Kiss is more realistic. Relationships are complicated, and some will work and some won't, but it's not just seamless and perfect. There is beauty in relationships, but it's not like that all the time, and sometimes it takes rough times to appreciate the beauty. The way this movie ended showed integrity in that the main guy, Michael, really screwed up when he got scared about commitment, but when he realized that, he had to really, really prove himself that he was willing to work at his relationship with Jenna, and that he really loved her. It wasn't instantly all better. I don't know, I guess I just think the truth is sometimes good to see too, and not just what we wish was the truth. In a way I think it can make us feel better knowing we're not alone when life and relationships don't go perfectly for us all the time.
1 comment:
"In a way I think it can make us feel better knowing we're not alone when life and relationships don't go perfectly for us all the time."
Agreed. It is strangely comforting to know that others struggle with imperfect lives and relationships... I think these imperfections provide some dramatic and awe inspiring contrast when compared with the perfection of the Trinity and God's relentless pursuit of perfect intimacy with us, his imperfect disciples.
Post a Comment