Last year on this day I went to hear Handel's Messiah. It was a really special day for me - wonderful music heard with very dear people. I have always loved it, even as a child. "We like sheep!" :) I had the opportunity to sing parts of the Messiah in choir in highschool and college. Two years ago, I found the CD of the recording that my family has always listened to all my life. My parents got the records in the 70's and then dubbed them onto tapes in the 80's, but those kind of lost their quality. Anyway, 2 years ago I asked my dad to find the record and tell me who the symphony and conductor were etc, and I actually found it online somewhere! So now I have a copy of that rendition, and I gave it to my parents as well. Clearly, listening to The Messiah has always been a big part of Christmas for me.
Well, now another year has gone by, and listening to it again has brought back memories of how special that was a year ago. The past 8 months have been difficult. Gradually, it's getting better, but I still have ups and downs. Now, my sister is having a very difficult time as well. But some of the scriptures that Handel used in the Messiah have really touched me this Christmas season like never before. Here is one in particular:
"The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness -- on them light has shined." Isaiah 9:2
I am really hoping and praying that this Christmas, even though it is bittersweet for me and my family, can really be the beginning of coming out of darkness and into light.
2 comments:
I second that hope and prayer for your Christmas this year. May it be one where you realize anew that 'God is with you'...Emmanuel. And that He is the wonderful counsellor, prince of peace, mighty God, everlasting Father...all aspects of Him that I have realized I need again this Christmas! Merry Christmas Heidi!
Sorry...I forgot to sign my name on that one! It's me - Carmen!
Post a Comment