05 November, 2006

I'm a Coldplay fan!


There's no new Coldplay music out that I'm aware of, but I felt compelled to share my love for this band. I am not as eloquent as music critics in expressing my thoughts, but this is my humble ode. :) When "Yellow" came out a few years ago, I thought it was a good song, but I didn't listen to the rest of the album or anything. Then when A Rush of Blood to the Head album came out a few years ago, I actually thought "Clocks" was annoying. Then I heard the rest of the album and I started to like the band, but still didn't give it a really good listen. I obtained the first 2 albums, and enjoyed them. Then the album X&Y came out last year, and I bought it and immediately was OBSESSED with it. I just really, really love it for some reason. Then I started listening more to their older albums, and I got to love them more as well. So in August 2005, Coldplay came to the White River Ampitheatre south of Seattle, and Abbe and I went to hear them. (Getting to and from that venue is another whole story I will not get into!) The concert was absolutely amazing. Just ask Abbe how excited I was at this show. Every song I would turn to her and exclaim, "I love this song!!" Chris Martin is a genius. He sounds good on recordings, but a lot of his songs require him to sing a wide range, so I was surprised how great he was able to sing live. I mean, he was really good. Plus he plays piano and guitar and writes great songs, both the music and the poetry. At the concert, they were promoting the ONE campaign and were getting people to sign up to receive mailings from Oxfam, which is an organization that works to find solutions to global poverty, hunger, and social injustice. The band has particularly brought awareness to the issue of fair trade. It is pretty cool. I know some people might think Coldplay is too mainstream (my ex-boyfriend for one). However, I would have to say this band is able to make fantastic music and have used their popularity to bring about awareness of important issues, so I think that's pretty cool. My entire family listens to Coldplay (or as my mom once called them, "Coldplate"). :) I never did convert the ex into a Coldplay fan, as far as I know, but I am convinced that this band is one that just keeps growing on you, and even he could come to like them. :)
Here are some of my favorite Coldplay songs:
- A Warning Sign
- The Scientist
- Don't Panic
- What If
- White Shadows
- Fix You
- Talk
So, there's my ode. Not the most articulate, perhaps, but enthusiastic!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Being 42, I haven't given "new" bands a fair chance because when I look at MTV and the like, all the bands either sound like Beyonce or Green Day.

I turned on "Live 8" for the fun of it, and to reconfirm that there are no bands worth my time, and to hopefully relive the feeling of "Live Aid", especially since I am a huge Midge Ure fan and prayed he would perform.. All of a sudden Coldplay came on and I was somewhat shocked that a band of today sounded so good and intrigued my senses.

Not too long after, I was watching the Reality show, "Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. At one particular scene they played "The Scientist"... That was it for me, I was hooked!!!

I've bought all the CD's and also spend time buying things off Ebay and also fill my PC with videos and concerts from the band off of "Shareaza" (a many-to-many program).

I regret that I missed the X&Y tour, but I'll try my damnedest to be front row during the next one at as many East Coast shows as possible.

So, Check out Shareaza, you'll be shocked!!

Lastly, Gweneth Paltrow is the luckiest woman in the world!!