This past Saturday I attended the Bat Mitzvah ceremony for my co-worker's daughter. I am not completely naive about Jewish traditions, but only having actually been to one other Jewish service in my life, it was very enlightening to participate in this celebration. I attended the ceremony and lunch, but not the big party that night. First of all, I was surprised when I walked into the temple that there was an armed security guard by the door. On second thought, it made more sense to me, since there was just a hate crime shooting at a Jewish organization in Seattle this summer, so I am sure Jewish groups are being much more cautious. However, having grown up Mennonite, it seemed so very strange and unsettling to see a weapon at a place of worship. Moving on to the ceremony, I was amazed how much was conducted in Hebrew, since it is a reformed Jewish group. Apparently I had some preconceived ideas! I knew there was some Hebrew, but there was a LOT of Hebrew. It was really cool though. The music was really good. Those Jewish melodies are almost haunting in a way, but so beautiful. The 2 girls who were celebrating becoming a bat mitzvah had lots of readings to do, which included singing parts of the Torah. I would have been so nervous, but they appeared to be very strong and confident, which just added to the idea that they are coming of age. The families were really involved in the service. I was moved to tears when the parents gave a blessing to their daughter. I realize that the bat/bar mitzvah is so significant in the Jewish faith, and even though I am not Jewish and didn't completely understand everything that was going on in this ceremony and what it all meant for their lives, it was touching to see how much it meant to them. The ceremony lasted 2 hours, and even though I didn't understand everything, I was engaged the whole time. It was a great time, and I was so glad to be a part of it. I feel blessed to have co-workers that are open about faith with each other, even though we have different faith traditions and beliefs.
Currently listening: Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun
No comments:
Post a Comment