It's now 5 days since the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. It is unimaginable to me what the people in northeastern Japan are going through right now. The devastation is so overwhelming just from the earthquake and tsunami, but then to have to worry about radiation too is absolutely terrible. It must feel like hell on earth.
It is now 5 days until I go to Seoul and 9 days until I am supposed to fly to Tokyo. I still haven't made any decisions. A couple of days ago I was more sure about going to Japan, but now I'm not so sure.
It's turned out to be kind of controversial even, to think about going to Japan. I have been reading travel forums online daily, and some people are really adamant that it is disrespectful to travel to Japan at all, even unaffected regions, at this time, but then there are others saying that Japan needs tourism especially now to support their economy.
Now the biggest factor is the radiation from the nuclear plants, which basically overrides the other factors. That is scarier than anything. Right now it is making me think Tokyo is probably not the best idea.
My latest thought is that I will try to change my flight and fly into another further south city in Japan for the second part of my trip. So far Kyoto and Hiroshima, which were already on my itinerary, seem to be functioning normally. I haven't made any cancellations or anything yet. I think I'll still wait a little while to see what happens. I have time. I am glad this doesn't affect my trip to Seoul to see my friends. I am also glad that my flights are based out of Seoul, which should make it easier to make changes. The worst case scenario would be that I wouldn't get on the flights from Seoul to Tokyo and back as scheduled.
No comments:
Post a Comment