09 February, 2011

the cuisine of Venice!

Last night my friend AR and I went to a local natural food market for a class on the food and wine of Venice and the Veneto.  I thought it would be a more hands on cooking class, but it was really a demo. Even though it wasn't totally what I expected, I still loved it! I have all the recipes to try at home on my own, and I learned quite a bit about the regional cooking around Venice, the agriculture, the wine etc.  All of the food and wine was really excellent!
The first course was Beet Carpaccio, which was thinly sliced beets on top of caramelized onion, drizzled with olive oil and topped with rosemary & olive oil asiago cheese.  Yum.  It was served with Alois Lageder Pinot Grigio "Riff".

The second course was Risi e Bisi, which is a risotto with peas and pancetta.  Delicious!!  This was served with another white wine: Inama Soave Classico.

Then we had roasted wine makers sausages, which was chicken sausage with red onion, radicchio, fennel, grapes, thyme, and rosemary.  The wine for this course was a red called Giuseppe Lonardi Valpolicella Ripasso.




Then last was zaleti cookies served with blood orange gelato.  These are cookies made with corn flour.  Very tasty! We had Trevisiol Prosecco Extra Dry as our wine with dessert.



And here is my friend who went to the class with me! We really need to do another one sometime!

1 comment:

rjc70grad@gmail.com said...

Reading all the Italian words made it all sound quite delectable!
Looks very interesting.