27 September, 2009

busy weeks

September has flown by, probably because so much as been going on. A big highlight was my parents' visit. They were in Seattle for 6 days. I worked, so they entertained themselves when I was at work, and we hung out in the evenings and on the weekend. We ate some good food, walked around the lake a few times, went to the art museum (Andrew Wyeth exhibit and Imogen Cunningham photography exhibit were my favorites), went to Pike Place Market, and went to a Mariners game. Dad put the shelf back up that fell off my wall a couple of months ago. It wouldn't be a visit from the parents without Dad doing something handy for me.

We also had dinner with Abbe and Patrick one night, and Patrick (who is also of Russian Mennonite stock) had a lot of questions about the Mennonite heritage tour my parents went on a year ago in the Ukraine. Well, Dad just ran with it, as he loves to talk about it! Dad had just gotten Mennonite genealogy software, and later that night put in Patrick's name and birthday, and found out we are distant cousins with Patrick and his mom's side of the family. I think it's hilarious! Abbe is one of my dearest friends, and who would have ever guessed, since she is not ethnic Mennonite herself, that she and I would end up related through marriage! I can't believe it...but I can. The Mennonite world is very small - frighteningly small sometimes.

Speaking of Abbe and Patrick, their wedding is a week from today. It's hard to believe how time flies. The wedding weekend is going to be fun. I have to admit, it's been hard at times for me to deal with Abbe getting married. She and I have been close friends for a long time, and this has been a change in our friendship. But I am happy for her, and I know our friendship is strong and will survive! I had a great time with her today - my kindred friend! I'm looking forward to being a part of her big day!

September has also included a visit with Jen, Abbe's bachelorette party, Telia's birthday party, Hannah's "Jesus Girls" book launch, babysitting sweet baby Linnea, Anna's birthday dinner, biking with Joy and Lily, other quality friend times, and draining church meetings! It's been really, really busy, but good. In addition to the wedding activities this coming week, I am looking forward to seeing Wicked with a few girls on Wednesday. Should be fun!

No comments: