18 January, 2009

winter weekend of fun




















I just returned from my annual snow camp weekend in the mountains.
I am such a fan of snowshoeing. This year, my friend Kelli and I were snowshoeing buddies. We went for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon, and then this morning as well. The fog prevented us from seeing the beautiful vistas, but it was great anyway. There wasn't a lot of snow, unfortunately. It snowed a lot in December, but then it rained a whole bunch in the mountains a few weeks ago and melted a bunch of the snow. Not only did this mean less snow, but also the parking lot at the camp was a complete sheet of ice. My tailbone had a close encounter with it, actually. But it was still fun to trekking around the mountainside and to the top of the ridge with the snowshoes. I think I should invest in some one of these days. I rented them from a little second hand outdoor gear store, where the guy gave me a steal on the rentals. I rented 2 pairs from Friday night until Monday, and he gave me the rate for only one day. Pretty sweet! The weekend rate would have been double what he charged me. :)

Anyway, back to snow camp. The rest of the time that I wasn't snowshoeing, I was either eating, sleeping, knitting, playing a game, or talking with friends. It was good. I had a cable knit hat started for myself, and I finished it last night, so I was able to wear it today! I was happy with how it turned out.

1 comment:

Heather D. said...

Looks like a lot of fun! And the hat looks amazing too. :)