17 December, 2007

new dating adventures

OK, Abbe made a special request for a post about dating. I recently tried out a Christian dating site for a month. The fact that I signed up on any dating site is a miracle in itself. I have had people encourage me to try it for years, but I am finally at a point where I think it's not such a bad idea. I have to look at it as a way that I am being introduced to someone I wouldn't have the opportunity to meet with otherwise, but my thing is that I want to meet someone in person fairly soon so it could become a real life personal relationship or interaction, even if it is just for one date.

I met one guy in Seattle through the Christian site a few weeks ago. That was quite an adventure, and proved that there are crazy people everywhere. Even good Christian wacky men. I won't tell the whole story of this guy because it is long and complicated, even though it was only 2 weeks of communication. The main thing about it is that he was very comfortable and confident at his computer, but when we FINALLY met in person after 10 days of spending hours chatting online and on the phone, he was definitely insecure in some ways. I don't even believe he was the same guy as he has a picture of on his profile on the website. I don't know what he thinks he has to hide, because he is not an unattractive guy. There were lots of fishy things that just weren't adding up. I probably gave him too many chances, actually. But after we met in person, which he seemed to enjoy, he still seemed to prefer to continue mainly just chatting online. Not OK with me!! I am a real person, and it's silly to try to get to know someone that way when you live 15 minutes apart in the same city!

I decided not to renew my account on the Christian website mainly because there just weren't enough guys on there from the Seattle area. I am really not interested in trying to meet men that live far away. Like I said, the in-person interaction is what is really important to me, and will tell me much earlier whether there is chemistry and compatibility with someone. So I signed up for Match.com last week, and there are lots more men from Seattle on there! I know that most of them probably aren't what I am looking for, but the odds are better with a larger pool to choose from. I have been communicating with a couple of guys, and am meeting one of them tonight. We'll see! The idea of just dating is pretty new to me. I have mostly been in a relationship or not dating, but not much of that middle ground of just dating people not seriously. I think it will be good for me. And who knows, maybe a relationship could develop!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds exciting. Keep me posted.
Trudy