20 October, 2007

sisters trip to San Francisco

You've seen the pictures, now for the story of my trip to San Francisco and vicinity with my sisters last week. The three of us had thought this would be a good idea to do since Erica got married 2 years ago, and we finally did it! I originally thought Hawaii would be an ideal place for the three of us to go together, but that is quite a bit more expensive for them to travel to from the midwest than it is for me. Then Erica suggested Portland. I said "yeah right! I can go there whenever I want!". So we agreed on California. I had been to San Francisco before but neither Sara nor Erica had. We spent a total of 3 days in San Francisco, and spent a couple of days south of San Francisco in Half Moon Bay, Palo Alto/Mountain View, and Monterey.

Memorable events:
  • breakfast with Andrew at Buck's before Sara and Erica arrived
  • Erica's flight delay of 3+ hours
  • being drenched from the downpour that lasted half a day
  • riding the cable car
  • Ghirardelli hot chocolate
  • eating breakfast in a little diner on a cliff overlooking the ocean
  • driving down the #1 highway along the coast
  • pumpkin festival in Half Moon Bay and the massive traffic delay it caused ("They're just pumpkins, people!!")
  • Pasta? with Andrew in Palo Alto
  • The 17-mile Drive around Monterey
  • Whale watching - We actually saw some humpback whales and some really cute smiling acrobatic seals, but Erica and I weren't feeling so awesome, and our boat left a bit to be desired.
  • Having our rental car broken into in Golden Gate Park (Golden Gate of Hell Park) when we left the car for 10-15 minutes. A bag of mine was stolen, but miraculously it was found later in or near the trash by someone who works at the park! My checkbook, passport, green card, and $80 Canadian cash were in the bag, but only the money was gone!! I also lost a half drank bottle of water, a bag of baby carrots and snap peas, and a silver ring I wore all the time (those probably just got lost from the guy dumping the bag out). It was a scary, disturbing experience, but Sara and Erica were great, and the police, park people, and the witness were very kind and helpful. We bounced back from that pretty well, I think.
  • "Full House Park" (Alamo Square)
  • Union Street shops and restaurants (we had a great breakfast at La Boulange where Sara got the largest cup of coffee I have ever seen!)
  • Driving down the Crooked Street (Lombard Street) twice!
  • Beautiful architecture
  • A lovely Italian dinner at Tratorria Pinocchio where there was nice atmosphere, cute waiters and good food and wine
  • view of the city from Telegraph Hill (Coit Tower) and the rainbow over Alcatraz (AKA Azkaban!) and the Golden Gate Bridge
We only had some minor tiffs over navigating and plans for the days. Overall, we got along pretty well, and we agreed we should take another sisters trip at some point.

Regarding the car break-in, it really made me wonder what is wrong with some people!! I am guessing this guy was looking for money for drugs. I know that drugs make people do lots of stupid things, like even steal from their own families for drug money. It is just so extremely selfish. In my own example, the bag that was taken mostly had things in it that were important to me and to no one else, like earrings a friend made me, my Spanish books and homework, the bag itself which I got in China etc. This guy put out the rental car company who will have to replace the window, put me through some major stress because I felt really violated and had to get a new bank account since my checkbook was initially missing. I am SO LUCKY I got back my passport and green card, because that could have been disastrous. Anyway, things turned out probably the best that they could have in my situation, but it was still traumatic, and it makes me mad that people do these things to other people.

ANYWAY, I am very grateful for great sisters and good times with them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, sounds and looks like a great time. Wow, you are very lucky that your bag and most of it's contents were found. That could've been a whole lot more traumatic.
Trudy