01 March, 2007

Hong Kong adventures - Part 2

Wednesday, Feb 21

Noreen and I took the KCR train to Mong Kok to see the bird market and flower market. The bird market is literally people selling birds for pets. There were lots and lots of tiny little cages with little birds in them. There were old men there with their own birds, walking their birds in their cages and just looking at them. The flower market was a whole street of flower shops, inside and out on the street. The flowers were really inexpensive. Lots of orchids! Then Noreen and I walked down endless blocks of a street market (known as the ladies' market), with people selling all kinds of stuff: purses, clothing, electronics, watches, etc etc
We ate lunch in a fancy mall, then took the bus down Nathan Road, which is major street with lots of stores and lots of neon lights over the street. It's pretty famous. We took the bus all the way down to the ferry pier in East Tsim Sha Tsui, the tip of the Kowloon peninsula. We got gelato and sat at the waterfront promenade which has a great view across Victoria Harbour to Hong Kong Island, with its wide panoramic view of skyscrapers.
Then we walked along the promenade of Avenue of the Stars (sort of the same idea as in Hollywood where famous people get a star and maybe their handprints by their star). There was a statue of Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan (I forget already!), and a Chinese girl who could speak English pretty well asked to have her picture taken with us there in front of the statue! Apparently this happens a lot with white people.
Next we went to the Hong Kong Museum of History, which was really interesting.
The first couple of days that I was here, it was the holiday for Chinese New Year, so lots of businesses were closed, and not as many people were out, but I am starting to notice the crowds more. There are people EVERYWHERE!

Thursday, Feb 22

Noreen and I took the KCR to Shenzhen, just across the border in China. The first thing we did was get me a China visa, which didn't take too long. Then we went to the Luohu mall, which had tons and tons of little tiny shops selling knock-offs of brand name clothing, purses, luggage, and also DVDs which apparently aren't always what they say they are or don't work. People were in the hallways constantly asking as to go look at their shops. "Missy, just looking" (not the best English!) In these stores you barter. At one point I was thinking about buying a purse, but I wasn't sure I liked it, so I decided not to. As I left, the girl working there actually followed me out of the store, grabbed onto my arm and tried to pull me back to the store! I got a "Samsonite" 22" suitcase and a brand name leather passport holder for about $36 USD, and a pashmina scarf for $12 US. We ate lunch at a "western" restaurant in the mall, which had a weird interpretation of what western food was. I had spaghetti curry! I couldn't resist!
Then we took a cab to the Queen Spa where we were greeted by doormen wearing very formal-looking hats and long coats. First we went to the pool. There were various jets and things that were supposed to massage you. There was a cold pool and warm and hot pools. The whirlpool is supposedly good for your organs. Then we went back to the ladies' dressing room where we had showers with all the shampoo etc provided. Then they gave us Chinesey pajamas and robes. By the way, there were tons of attendants everywhere in the spa, including the dressing room. Sadly, I'm sure they get paid very little. We went to the leisure/lounge room, which was a huge room with leather recliners everywhere, a theatre area, internet, pool tables, table tennis, and fresh fruit and juice bar. We chilled for a moment with some fruit and tea, then went for our 90 minute massages which are included in the base price, and apparently they have a few hundred massage rooms in this place. We just went when we felt like it, and didn't have to wait at all. They had several types to choose from, and I picked Chinese-style massage. Definitely different than any massage I've had before, but it was good! After our massages, Noreen and I found each other again in the leisure room and got some recliners where we ate more free fruit, watched our individual TVs, ordered some supper, and just relaxed. At one point I went and used the internet, which was additional $, but only about $1.50 US for an hour! While I was gone, Noreen had a 45 minute head massage at her chair for a minimal price. You could also get pedicures, manicures, shoulder massages, and I don't know what else at your recliner. I felt like I was living someone else's life, to be doing something so luxurious and being across the world! There was only one English-speaking guy working, and whenever we needed anything, the other workers with their headsets on let him know, and he would be there in a flash. What an experience! What's even crazier is that everything I did that day cost me only $35 USD!!! Like I said before, I am sure the workers there are paid very poorly.

1 comment:

kops21 said...

Enjoy your trip in Queen Spa and Hong Kong. I did. Might go back again to Shenzhen in the near future and skip HK. Haze too bad for me.