13 May, 2006

Ode to my mom!

Current mood: grateful
Since it is Mother's Day weekend, and also because I now have an increased respect for my mom, I thought I would write about it. My mom has always been a strong support in my life, someone I could talk to about anything, and she has always encouraged me in everything I have ever done. If you have read my other blog posts, you will know that my grandma (my mom's mom) died in April. Mom had been faithful in going to visit her in Saskatchewan every few months (my parents live in Indiana) for the last 2 years, since Grandma became sick with cancer. My mom went to be with Grandma in her last days of life. Mom spent hours and hours in the nursing home with Grandma, including most of the nights. My mom's brother and sister were so relieved as soon as my mom came, because they have always felt like she was much more of a caregiver than either of them are, and they felt like she just brought some peace and comfort with her. My mom sang countless hymns to Grandma, prayed with her, and did devotionals with her. She said she worried about being able to say all the right things and stuff, but just being herself and being with her mom was all she needed to do. She was a rock for my aunt and my uncle. It's interesting because she's the middle child, but both her big sister and little brother were really leaning on her, and they made sure to tell my dad and sisters and I how much my mom means to them and how special she is. It is incredible to see the strength that my mom has, even when I know she is grieving too. I also think it's amazing to see how my mom has blossomed over the last few years, really finding a career that suits her, in which people see her gifts (it's actually in hospice) and appreciate her so much. It's awesome to see how people can continue to develop and become through their whole lives, and how our love and appreciation for our family members can continue to grow as well. Mom said that her own mom was an inspiration to her in how she dealt with her terminal illness, continuing to have faith and be a gracious person right until the very end. I also find this very inspiring, but I also hope that I can take care of my mom someday the way that my mom cared for Grandma.

No comments: